According to some of the boys on the streets, more than 60% of the youth of today is on drugs, and many of them are on the street drug Nyaupe. If that is true a whole generation is lost to South Africa!
Here are some of the stats from the UN and Y.A.D.A. (Youth Against Drug Abuse)
• In one year, the percentage of drug users has doubled in South Africa and is now marketed specifically in townships. Prices have also come down and it is far more affordable to lower income groups.
• SA ranks NO: 4 in the world for drug offence cases.
• According to SAPS figures, 60 percent of crimes nationally were related to substance abuse.
• Nyaope, a mixture of dagga and heroin that has been cut with products like domestos, Rattax and ARV’s, is causing inestimable damage among Tshwane’s township youth.
• In one year, the percentage of users has doubled in South Africa and is now marketed specifically in townships. Prices have also come down and it is far more affordable to lower income groups yet remains one of the most addicted drugs available today.
On the streets of Roodepoort we find many of these boys that ‘hustle’ on the streets.
Most of them are using Nyaope. Because of their drug habbit, many of them are living on the streets and are involved in crime.
In 2015 we started to feed the boys once a week, we also invite them to come in to talk to us, and if they are willing to leave the drugs that we will help them to go to Rehab.
In August of 2015 Nkosinathi came into our office, crying for help. A friend, whom we met at a Drug course, has a halfway house for recovering drug addicts. He was willing to take him in. Since then 12 guys went through rehab, of which only 3 has fallen back to drug abuse. The rest are going strong, and some are at the halfway house. There are many who has done the paperwork and who are waiting to go to Rehab.
Nkosinathi, is currently awaiting Bible school training. He wishes to become a Pastor!